FOOD IN A MINUTE, the much-loved TV cooking show, has come up with a fabulous new Everyday Cookbook. Whether you’re new to the kitchen or have plenty of cooking experience, this collection of more than 100 yummy recipes will help you create the perfect weekday dinner – or ‘wow’ your friends and family on special occasions. Try these summer selections and you’ll see what we mean.
BBQ LAMB & SUMMER VEGETABLE SALAD
Delicious caramelised onion-infused lamb tossed through roasted vegetables – perfect for your next barbecue.
- 250ml bottle Eta Caramelised Onion Dressing
- 400g lamb stir-fry or lamb leg steaks cut into strips
- 2 red capsicums, deseeded and cut into pieces
- 2 yellow capsicums, deseeded and cut into pieces
- 2 small red onions, quartered
- 3 courgettes, sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 120g bag mesclun leaves
- 50g feta, crumbled (optional)
- Place half the dressing in a bowl. Add lamb and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, barbecue the capsicums, onions, courgettes and tomatoes on an oiled plate. Alternatively these can be roasted in a preheated 200°C oven until tender. Place in a bowl.
- Barbecue marinated lamb over medium heat until just cooked through.
- Carefully toss the cooked lamb through the vegetables, adding extra dressing to taste. Allow to cool.
- Serve the salad over mesclun leaves. Scatter crumbled feta on top just before serving if wished. Serve with crusty bread
SUMMER PLUM SHORTCAKE
We love plums and the Black Doris variety are a particular favourite. This shortcake recipe is very easy – just throw the ingredients into a food processor and you’ll have it in the oven in less than 15 minutes. Serve with a large scoop of yoghurt or ice cream. Simply divine!
- 850g can Wattie’s Black Doris Plums in syrup, drained
- 1½ cups ground almonds
- 150g butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Craig’s Black Doris Plum Jam
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160ºC. Line the base of a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper. Halve plums and remove stones.
- Mix ground almonds, butter, caster sugar, self-raising flour and eggs in a food processor or with electric beaters until ingredients are combined. Press two-thirds of mixture over base of cake tin.
- Drop spoonfuls of plum jam over mixture and then place plum halves on top.
- Dot remaining shortcake mixture over plums. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until cooked and golden. Cool in tin before removing. Serve dusted with icing sugar.