One dark night outside a small town in Minnesota, a fire started inside the local chemical plant, and in a blink of an eye it exploded into massive flames.
The alarm went out to all the fire departments for miles around.
When the volunteer fire fighters appeared on the scene, the chemical company president rushed to the fire chief and said, “All of our secret formulas are in the vault in the centre of the plant. They must be saved. I will give $50,000 to the fire department that brings them out intact.”
But the roaring flames held the firefighters off.
Soon more fire departments had to be called in as the situation became desperate. As more firemen arrived, the president shouted out that the offer was now $100,000 to the fire department who could bring out the company’s secret files. Still no takers.
From the distance, a lone siren was heard as another fire truck came into sight. It was the nearby rural township volunteer fire company, composed mainly of Norwegians over the age of 65.
To everyone’s amazement, the little run-down fire engine, operated by these old Norwegians, passed all the newer sleek engines parked outside the plant … and drove straight into the middle of the inferno!
Outside, the other firemen watched as the Norwegian old-timers jumped off and began to fight the fire with a performance and effort never seen before. Within a short time, the Norsemen had extinguished the fire and saved the secret formulas.
The grateful chemical company president joyfully announced that for such a superhuman feat he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to personally thank each of the brave Norse firefighters.
The local TV news reporters rushed in after capturing the event on film and asked, “What are you going to do with all that money?”
“Vell,” said Olee Larsen, the 70-year-old fire chief, “Da furst ting vee doo is fix da brakes on dat truck!”
THINGS TO DO IN AN ELEVATOR #1:
- Wear a puppet on your hand and use it to talk to the other passengers.
- When there’s only one other person in the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and then pretend it wasn’t you.
- Push the buttons and pretend they give you a shock. Smile, and go back for more.
- Bring a camera and take pictures of everyone in the elevator.
- Move your desk into the elevator and whenever anyone gets on, ask if they have an appointment.
- Lay down the Twister mat and ask people if they would like to play.
- Leave a box in the corner, and when someone gets on, ask them if they can hear ticking.
- Pretend you are a flight attendant and review emergency procedures and exits with the passengers.